A 19-year-old woman was arrested early Tuesday on suspicion of gross negligence resulting in the death of her 1-year-old daughter at their apartment in the Ikebukuro district of Tokyo’s Toshima Ward in a fire allegedly caused by a hair dryer, police said.

Police said the woman, a restaurant employee, allegedly went out without turning off the dryer before the fire broke out at around 11:45 a.m. Her baby, who was left behind, was found dead, apparently from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Unable to view this article?

This could be due to a conflict with your ad-blocking or security software.

Please add japantimes.co.jp and piano.io to your list of allowed sites.

If this does not resolve the issue or you are unable to add the domains to your allowlist, please see out this support page.

We humbly apologize for the inconvenience.

In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.