A steadily approaching typhoon brought heavy rain and thunderstorms to the Kanto-Koshin region in eastern Japan and the Izu islands in the Pacific, the Meteorological Agency said Sunday.

Total rainfall since Saturday exceeded 200 mm in Tokyo’s Tama region Sunday afternoon, and the agency issued warnings for landslides, flooding and lightning.

At 6 p.m. Sunday, Typhoon Sonamu, the season’s 17th, with atmospheric pressures of 975 hectopascals at its center, was located some 230 km southeast of Choshi, Chiba Prefecture, and was moving northeast at about 45 km per hour, according to the agency.

“Sonamu” means pine (tree) in North Korea. From this year Asian countries have begun sharing names for typhoons selected It was packing winds of up to 108 kph at its center, the agency said.

“Sonamu” means pine tree in North Korea. Asian countries have recently been using a common list of names to refer to typhoons in the region.

The agency told residents of Niijima and Kozushima islands in the Izu chain to brace for landslides and warned that mudslides could occur on Miyake Island, which recently evacuated its residents due to prolonged volcanic activity and earthquakes.

The Izu islands and the Boso Peninsula in Chiba Prefecture could become a storm zone if the typhoon proceeds on its most westerly projected course, the agency said.

Lightning hits subway

Tokyo subway services on the Oedo Line were suspended for about four hours Sunday after lightning struck power cables in the morning, Tokyo traffic officials said.

The lightning came from localized thunderstorms that were intermittently raging in the Tokyo metropolitan area on Sunday with the approach of Typhoon No. 17, they said.

According to the Tokyo Metropolitan Government’s Traffic Bureau, the lightning struck power cables in the section between Tokyo Electric Power Co.’s Nerima substation and its Hikarigaoka substation shortly after 10 a.m., cutting power at seven stations on the Oedo Line.

As a result, 64 scheduled train runs on the line were canceled, inconveniencing an estimated 17,500 passengers, the Traffic Bureau said. Service was restored shortly before 3 p.m., it said.

In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.