Two ill Defense Agency officials may have become Japan’s latest food poisoning victims after eating a dinner prepared at an agency facility Wednesday evening, the agency said Thursday.
Masahiro Akiyama, administrative vice minister of the agency, and Masayuki Fujishima, director general of the secretariat, were treated for enteritis at the agency’s Chuo Hospital in Tokyo’s Setagaya Ward, the agency said. Their symptoms were not serious, but the agency canceled their regular news conference Thursday.
They had dinner together after meeting with Defense Agency chief Fukushiro Nukaga, who returned from his visit to the United States that day.
Akiyama heads the agency’s research committee on the alleged breach of trust case connected with a procurement-related scandal. Fujishima was questioned by prosecutors last week in connection with the agency’s alleged attempt to destroy evidence related to the scandal.
In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.