At least five people were killed and nearly 60 others injured as the season’s seventh typhoon, packing gusts of up to 108 kph, hit Wakayama Prefecture on Tuesday and swept through the Kinki, Tokai and Hokuriku regions.

As it moved north toward Tohoku, flooding caused by Typhoon No. 7 crippled air, road and sea traffic in Shikoku and surrounding areas. Tokushima, Kagawa and Kochi prefectures were drenched by precipitation that fell at a rate of over 120 mm per hour when the medium-size but powerful typhoon hit the Kii Peninsula in Wakayama Prefecture just after 1 p.m., according to the Meteorological Agency.

The area was still reeling from Typhoon No. 8, which struck Monday in the archipelago’s first consecutive typhoon strikes in 10 years, according to the agency.

At 7 p.m. the typhoon was about 40 km west of Nagaoka, Niigata Prefecture, heading north-northeast at 75 kph with winds up to 108 kph and an atmospheric pressure of 985 hectopascals at its center, the agency said. The typhoon’s wind speeds had been measured at up to 144 kph when it landed near Gobo, Wakayama Prefecture, just after 1 p.m., the agency said.

According to the agency, the storm was expected to move along the Sea of Japan coast before reaching the northern part of the Tohoku region later Tuesday and Hokkaido early this morning.

Police said five fatalities were reported in the Kinki and Chubu regions. An unidentified driver was rescued after his vehicle was buried in a landslide near a tunnel in the town of Oda, Fukui Prefecture. The man, however, died at a hospital two hours later, police said.

Denji Kihira, 87, drowned after he fell into the Minoya River in the town of Ishibe, Shiga Prefecture, police said. He was pulled from the river by neighbors who found him 1.5 km downstream, but he was later pronounced dead.

In Shinjo, Nara Prefecture, Tamiyo Yoshimi, 63, died in her home after her neck was slashed by glass from a broken window, police said. She was apparently trying to close the shutters of a second-floor window when it shattered amid the approaching typhoon, they said. Rikio Tani, 78, was found dead in Ichinomiya, Aichi Prefecture, under the collapsed door of a greenhouse, police said.

In Kobe’s Hyogo Ward, the city’s fire department issued an evacuation warning at 2:45 p.m. Tuesday to more than 15,000 residents as the Shin-Minagowaga River was flooded by heavy rain. The warning was lifted shortly after 5 p.m.

In the Chubu region, about 880,000 households were suffering a power outage as of 6 p.m. Tuesday, Chubu Electric Power Co. said. According to power companies in Kansai and Shikoku, about 330,000 households in 10 prefectures, including Tokushima, Kochi, Wakayama and Osaka, temporarily lost power Tuesday afternoon.

The typhoon has brought heavy rain to much of the Kinki region, with Kami-Kitayama in Nara Prefecture recording 272 mm since 3 p.m. Monday, the agency said. More than 200 mm had fallen in several areas in the region in the same period, it said.

In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.