June 5: COVID-19 round-up
- Harshly criticized for being the only Group of Seven member nation still banning legal long-term and permanent residents from returning home, Japan has softened its stance and now says it will allow foreign residents to re-enter the country regardless of their visa status.
- Japan is considering how to simplify the format of next year’s Tokyo Olympics to adapt to the age of the coronavirus, according to government sources.
- Live music lovers won’t have much to look forward to this summer after promoter Smash announced the cancellation of this year’s Fuji Rock Festival.
- Many people have picked up new hobbies during the pandemic, and it’s not too late to start yours, writes Rebecca Saunders. She spoke to a few artistic types about how they have been coping with the lockdown, offering a compact list of tips to help get the creative juices flowing.
- New low-cost carrier Zipair took off for its maiden flight from Tokyo to Bangkok carrying cargo instead of people due to the dearth in demand for flights amid the coronavirus pandemic.