The 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games are set to start on July 24, bringing millions of fans and tens of thousands of athletes and support staff from around the world to Japan. Or that’s how the story is supposed to go. Now with the global coronavirus outbreak, there are serious concerns that the games will have to be canceled or postponed.
Visit The JT’s dedicated COVID-19 site for all the latest updates on the coronavirus situation from around Japan.
- Tokyo Olympics will likely go ahead as planned, but coronavirus could hit attendance (Ryusei Takahashi, The Japan Times)
- In Tokyo, a growing sense of angst over possible virus-hit Olympics (Reuters)
- Delay of 1-2 years realistic if virus rules out 2020 Games, says Tokyo Olympic exec (Reuters, Bloomberg)
- J. League fans make best of virus-induced sabbatical (Dan Orlowitz, The Japan Times)
- Organizers manage to hold sport climbing test event without athletes
(Jason Coskrey, The Japan Times)
- Spring Basho to be held behind closed doors for first time ever due to coronavirus (The Japan Times)
Photo by AP
Special delivery! Hear all about it!
Sign up to be notified when we drop a new episode of the Deep Dive podcast.
No spam. Just the good stuff.