OSAKA – A female patient was found dead in a nursing home in Suita, Osaka Prefecture, after her artificial respirator had stopped working, prompting the Osaka Prefectural Police to launch an investigation into possible professional negligence.
The police said Monday that a nurse making her rounds at Medical Rihabiri Home Kurara Suita at around 8:20 p.m. Saturday found that Mihoko Ishiguro’s ventilator was not working.
Ishiguro’s doctor confirmed her death at around 9:05 p.m. and reported to the police that the 68-year-old woman died because the respirator had not been working.
No problems were found at around 7 p.m., when Ishiguro received nutrition through a tube, according to the facility.
The police were investigating to determine if the respirator malfunctioned or was somehow switched off.
According to the police, Ishiguro was discovered lying on her back in the bed in her private room, and the respirator was plugged in.
There were no signs of the room being disturbed, the police said.
The cause of death was listed as suffocation.
Ishiguro had been living in the facility since February 2014.
“We deeply apologize to her family and we hope to extend every possible cooperation with the investigation,” said Takaaki Oimatsu, director of Tokyo-based Benesse Style Care Co., which operates the facility.
In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.