Okinawans frustrated by Futenma standoff


The Associated Press

GINOWAN, Okinawa Pref. — When the U.S. took over the airfield here in the closing days of World War II, it was surrounded by sugar cane fields and the smoldering battlegrounds of Okinawa. It is now the focus of a deepening dispute that is testing Japan’s security alliance with the United States and dividing the Hatoyama government.

A city has grown up around the base, and helicopters and cargo planes from the U.S. Marine Corps facility buzz so low over Futenma No. 2 Elementary School, whose playground fence borders the facility, that the windows rattle and teachers stop class until the aircraft are on the ground.

“It’s just too much,” said the school’s vice principal, Muneo Nakamura. “I understand the political role the U.S. bases in Japan play. But we have to live here.”

That Marine Corps Air Station Futenma must go is not the dispute. U.S. military officials agree the base must be moved. The problem is where.

The U.S. says Futenma cannot be shut down until a replacement is opened elsewhere in Okinawa, an idea most in the prefecture oppose. They have the ear of the government that took office in September.

The standoff has clouded relations between Tokyo and Washington, delayed a plan to restructure America’s military presence in Asia and divided Japan’s political leadership. It comes as China’s rising military strength and North Korea’s nuclear threat are changing the security landscape in Asia, underscoring the importance of the U.S. and Japan keeping the issue from creating a major rift.

In Ginowan, the city of 92,000 where the base is located, patience is wearing thin.

The Futenma facility, home to about 2,000 marines and one of the marines’ largest facilities in the Pacific, is surrounded by urban sprawl.

The population density outside the base is roughly equivalent to central Tokyo. Intense training by helicopters and planes off a 2,800-meter runway has prompted residents to dub Futenma “the most dangerous base in the world.”

The base takes up roughly a quarter of the city’s land. Residents must drive around it, causing traffic jams, delays and frustration. Sewer and water lines have been detoured around its perimeter.

“This base violates so many regulations and safety rules that it would be illegal to operate it in the United States,” Ginowan Mayor Yoichi Iha said. “The situation has just been left to fester for too long, and no one has been willing to accept responsibility to do anything.”

He also accused the marines of regularly ignoring agreements on when and where they can fly. The city is installing a ¥2 billion radar system this year to keep tabs on them. A court has ruled the noise levels are unacceptable, and ordered the government to compensate residents. An appeal is ongoing.

Lt. Col. Douglas Powell, a spokesman for the Okinawa marines, said no flights are conducted after 11 p.m. and the airstrip is closed Sundays.

“Night training flights are limited to the minimum required to fulfill assigned missions and maintain aircrew proficiency,” he said. “Flight patterns can vary due to weather conditions such as wind velocity and wind direction. Marine corps pilots make every effort to minimize overflight of civilian population centers, but, first and foremost, must ensure safe flight operations.”

Progress on the Futenma issue has generally only occurred after major incidents have sent Okinawans into the streets in protest.

Following a public uproar over the rape of a local schoolgirl by two marines and a sailor, Tokyo and Washington agreed in 1996 to close the base. The deal bogged down in the details, including finding an alternative site both sides could agree on.

After a helicopter from Futenma crashed on the Okinawa International University campus near the base in August 2004, another agreement was announced in 2006. The university was closed at the time and only the flight crew was hurt.

That “strategic road map” included moving the facility farther north to a less crowded area and reducing the U.S. presence in Okinawa by shifting 8,000 marines from Futenma and other bases to Guam.

But the decision to replace Futenma with another on the outskirts of Nago sparked intense protests.

The new base would likely require bulldozing beaches near Camp Schwab.

“We are not going to let them destroy our ocean to build another military base,” said Hiroshi Aratomi, the coleader of a group that has held a daily sit-in for the past five years. “We will be glad to see Futenma go, but not at the price of simply substituting it with another base in our backyard.”

The protests by Nago residents have effectively thwarted efforts to finally settle on a site and have the sympathy of Okinawans in general, who would prefer that no replacement facility be built in their prefecture at all.

The U.S. insists the base must stay somewhere in Okinawa so the marine units remain cohesive. Tokyo is listening to the protesters, at least for now.

In large part, that reflects domestic politics. Mizuho Fukushima, head of the Social Democratic Party, has threatened to pull her party out of the ruling coalition if the base remains in Okinawa.

Her threat is seen as a major factor behind Prime Minister Yukio Hatoyama’s reluctance to decide on the issue.

“I am optimistic something can be done to move the base off Okinawa or out of the country,” Fukushima said after a meeting with Okinawa Gov. Hirokazu Nakaima last month. “We must do our best to see that it is closed soon.”