So it’s quasi-prohibition time once more in much of the country. Drink all you like, says the government, as long as it’s at home. Well, if ever there was a time to build a home bar, it’s now. Here’s how to get started, with tips from some of Japan’s best bartenders.

You will need a shaker to combine liquids of significantly different densities. They come in two basic styles: two pieces or three. Two-piece shakers, called either Boston or double-tin, are the ones you see people swing in the movies. The three-piece, with a built-in strainer and a little tin cap, is called a Cobbler shaker and is preferred by Japan’s bartenders.

In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.