After The Japan Times published a Lifelines column on Dec. 15 that focused on visa issues, we received a lot of mail from readers asking about their particular individual situations. We would like to stress that it is always best to have a professional look at personal cases.

One interesting question that caught our attention, though, came from Eric:

I’m a small business owner in the USA and plan to spend one or two years in Japan as a language student while working part-time for my American company. I ran this by the consulate in Chicago and they said there would be no conflict as the work limitations apply to Japanese companies, not foreign ones. Is this correct?