• Kyodo


A Nagoya University student who says she killed an elderly woman found dead in the 19-year-old’s apartment has also admitted poisoning a former high school classmate, investigative sources said Thursday.

Suspicious chemicals were found in the student’s Nagoya apartment.

Suspicion rests on a tweet the student is thought to have posted last year, in which she reported buying toxic thallium and pondered its lethality. Police are trying to confirm whether the chemical is among substances seized from her apartment and are looking into how it was acquired.

A source at the suspect’s former private high school in Tohoku said a classmate of the student fell ill and reported a loss of vision. The classmate had to temporarily drop out of school to get medical care.

Police deemed it a case of poisoning and asked school administrators how they stored chemicals on the premises.

“Bought thallium sulfate,” the person believed to be the teen tweeted last November. “Isn’t 1 gram of thallium sulfate the median lethal dose? Well, a sealed thallium sulfate bottle contains 25 grams.”

Meanwhile, the student’s alleged 77-year-old victim, who went missing in December, was found dead in the bathroom at the property Tuesday.

The suspect, whose name is being withheld as she is a minor, is alleged to have killed Tomoko Mori at her apartment on Dec. 7 after clubbing her with a hatchet. She reportedly told investigators she’d had a desire to kill someone since childhood.

The police said the suspect is thought to have wiped blood from the weapon and cleaned up stains elsewhere in her apartment. The police found a 37-cm hatchet in a shopping bag in the apartment.

“I’ve had this hatchet since junior high school,” police quoted the student as saying.

Officers believe she waited for a good chance to kill someone at random because the suspect herself told them that the target could have been “anybody.”

Mori was found dead with a scarf tied around her neck. An autopsy conducted Wednesday found she probably choked to death. Police also confirmed three skull fractures.

The suspect told police she had moved Mori’s body to the bathroom after killing her.

In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.