NEW YORK – A Chinese man whom Japanese police believe may know who committed a 1995 triple robbery-murder in suburban Tokyo will not appeal a Canadian court’s decision to extradite him, his lawyer said.
In September, an appeals court in Toronto upheld a decision made by a lower court last year to extradite the man to Japan on suspicion of illegally acquiring a Japanese passport and leaving the country in 2002.
Japanese police want to question the 43-year-old man from Fujian province, believing he may know who killed three women during a robbery at a supermarket in Hachioji, according to investigative sources.
The man’s lawyers, Robin Parker and Peter Zaduk, said Wednesday that Japan agreed last week to conditions set by Canada’s justice minister. They guarantee Japanese authorities must not “detain, try or punish” the man for anything other than the passport violation and must not send him to China.
“In light of the assurances sought by the Canadian government, any questioning of him about the murders will be improper and he will decline to answer any such questions,” the lawyers said in a statement. “It seems clear that because (the suspect) cannot be detained for the murders, he cannot be interrogated about them against his will.”
They also expressed concern that Japanese authorities may use “coercive interrogation techniques” to question the man about the murders, which they say would result in “highly unreliable” information.
The lawyers said they do not know when the man will be extradited.
Meanwhile, the Canadian Department of Justice said by email that it will not reveal “the timing of removals for security reasons.”
Tokyo police made the request after questioning Teruo Takeda, who knew the Chinese man, in September 2009. Takeda, who was executed in China in 2010 for drug-trafficking, told police that the Chinese man knows the murderer.
In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.