• Kyodo News

  • SHARE

The Tokyo District Court on Tuesday ordered Tokyo Broadcasting System Holdings Inc. to pay a man ¥1.2 million in redress for invading his privacy by airing images of him during live TV coverage of a homicide investigation scene in 2007.

The court ruled that broadcasting images of the plaintiff without his permission constituted an invasion of privacy and violated his portrait rights.

“The production staff who gave orders to the camera crew and edited the footage were negligent,” presiding Judge Noriaki Sudo said in holding TBS liable for compensation.

The court said the plaintiff’s son had been forced to change schools after children harassed him in class, saying his father, who drives a garbage truck, had carried the deceased.

“It is regrettable that our claim was not admitted (by the court), but we accept the ruling with sincerity and will utilize it in our future program making,” TBS said in a statement.

According to the court, in January 2007 TBS broadcast the face of the plaintiff, who was collecting garbage at the crime scene in Shibuya Ward, Tokyo, as well as his exchange with a reporter, in its morning program hosted by presenter Monta Mino.

In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.

SUBSCRIBE NOW