OSAKA — Universal Studios Japan was set Friday to resume its popular Hollywood Magic fireworks attraction after receiving permission from the Osaka Prefectural Government, USJ officials said.
After receiving an application to use fireworks from USJ, the prefectural government inspected the theme park Wednesday to verify whether the categories of explosives and launching equipment were set up as registered in the application, government officials said.
The prefecture concluded there were no safety concerns and gave the green light for USJ to use the fireworks permitted for September.
USJ Co., which runs the park, plans to resume the fireworks show for the first time in six weeks. The theme park canceled the show July 31 after it was suspected of unauthorized use and storage of explosives.
Osaka Mayor Nakafumi Isomura said he expects USJ to work toward regaining public confidence as a safe theme park and not damage the trust of residents and visitors again.
Osaka Prefectural Police are investigating USJ Co. on suspicion of violating the Explosives Control Law, as they believe the misuse of explosives was habitual and continued in spite of the knowledge that it was illegal, police said.
USJ Co. had earlier admitted to misusing explosives at Hollywood Magic in an effort to raise the show’s impact.
In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.