Tag - japan-lite

JAPAN LITE

Japan Times
COMMUNITY / Our Lives / JAPAN LITE
Aug 3, 2020
Breaking up is hard to do, but sometimes it needs to be done
Amy Chavez came to Japan in 1993 and, four years later, met her best friend. From there, things were a roller coaster.
Japan Times
May 11, 2020
An island off the coast of COVID-19 presses pause on tradition
Smaller towns in Japan aren't having to deal with the pandemic directly, but its effects are still being felt on lifestyles as festivals opt to cancel celebrations.
Japan Times
Apr 6, 2020
My life on the run from COVID-19
Right now I am in voluntary self-quarantine after returning from overseas. When I flew into Kansai International Airport from the island of Bali on March 23, Indonesia wasn’t on the list of countries with known coronavirus infections, and local authorities had not yet asked returnees from abroad to self-isolate for two weeks. Although I am back home in Japan, I have checked into a hotel to self-isolate because I feel I pose too much of a risk to the community of 450 people, most of them elderly, where I live.
Japan Times
Mar 9, 2020
Eco-friendly gift-giving in a society that's overwrapped
We're all trying to do our best to help the environment, but some efforts may take more than just buying something with the word "eco" attached to it.
Japan Times
Jan 27, 2020
There's a case for climate concern but not everyone in Japan is ready to go the extra mile
The people living on Shiraishi Island are already recycling, composting and reusing their plastic bags. How do we convince them to take the next step in environmental awareness?
Japan Times
Dec 30, 2019
A Japanese tradition to greet the new year
One new year tradition that has managed to stick around is making mochi, just make sure to watch your hands while you do it.
Japan Times
Nov 25, 2019
Waves of change washed over the Seto Inland Sea during the 2010s
Attracting international tourists used to be the goal. Events and trends over the past decade, however, have caused a small island to rethink their tourism strategy.
Japan Times
Nov 3, 2019
Are Japanese classes in the countryside cram school worth moving out of the city?
It seems like a good idea, move to the country and focus on Japanese. And it works, it just depends on what kind of Japanese you want to learn.
Japan Times
Sep 25, 2019
Lifestyles on the Seto Inland Sea change with advancements in the fishing industry
When I first came to Japan, I was stunned by the beauty of the Seto Inland Sea. Its thousands of peaked islands look as if they'd dropped straight from the sky and settled like gum drops on the water. Stretching 450 kilometers from Osaka to Kyushu, I also soon learned of the infinite varieties of seafood this location offers. It took me a little longer to really get to know the process of how that bounty ends up on my dinner plate.
Japan Times
Aug 25, 2019
An island festival steeped in history
In 1185, Japan's Taira (Heike) and Minamoto (Genpei) clans played out the final battle of the Genpei War, the result of which would have a profound effect on Japan ushering in its first shogun with Kamakura as the shogunate.
Japan Times
Jul 21, 2019
Humanity is sure to come through for those on a modern pilgrimage
As I made my way up the steep road to Kakurin Temple — aka Temple No. 20, I realized how foolish I had been to have bought a bicycle. Rising at dawn, I had ticked off temples 18 and 19 of the 88-temple Shikoku Pilgrimage on foot. I was hoping to make it to Temple 34 over the next few days. However, I was limping by No. 19 (Tatsue Temple), so I searched for bicycle shops on my smartphone. There was a Yamaha shop just 2 kilometers away. Now I had wheels!
Japan Times
Jun 23, 2019
A Buddhist priest reflects on growing up on Shiraishi Island during a time of war
Living on an island that was too small to receive direct attacks didn't stop the people living there from having to take extreme measures.
Japan Times
May 29, 2019
One woman's story illustrates the bittersweet charm of life in the Seto Island Sea
Mitsuko Amano was born in year 19 of the Showa Era (1944). World War II was still a year away from ending, and at the time nearly 2,000 people made their living on Shiraishi (White Stone) Island, the place she called home in the Seto Inland Sea.
Japan Times
Apr 21, 2019
The lesson from one student-led trash pick-up is that everyone needs to do their part
It's April on Shiraishi Island in Japan's Seto Inland Sea. The nights are still crisp, dipping to 4 degrees Celsius, but the sky is clear and the stars arc over the beach like thousands of glittery sequins on a pop idol's stage dress. The constellations are so prominent, even a young child can pick out the Big Dipper.
Japan Times
Mar 20, 2019
If you want to fix the problem of overtourism then just look overseas
I was speaking with a woman the other day who had recently been to Japan. She acknowledged that Japan is the "in" place to travel to and, as if to qualify this fact, complained that "Kyoto was so crowded, I couldn't even get a photo of the Golden Pavilion because of all the Chinese tourists."
Japan Times
Feb 20, 2019
Same gripes, different country: Japan ain't the only place with squat toilets and table charges
It's not easy being an expat. While most of us choose to live in Japan of our own volition, there are still times when we're frustrated with the way things work — or don't work — and the Community page often serves as an outlet for our gripes.
Japan Times
Jan 20, 2019
Be it ever so graying, there's no place like home
On a recent bus trip in Indonesia, I struck up a conversation with the man sitting next to me who told me he was Malaysian but living in Australia, which prompted me to admit that I was American but living in Japan. This seemed to pique his interest as he next said, "I am very interested to see how Japan deals with its aging problem." He went on to tell me that nations such as Malaysia were watching to see how Japan copes with aging and that it would predict how other Asian nations deal with the same issues.
Japan Times
Dec 30, 2018
Celebrating New Year's the island way
On the small island where I live in the middle of Japan's Seto Inland Sea, new year celebrations are stalwart traditional. Preparations start a week before when the holiday spirit wafts in on sea breezes tinted with chilling temperatures. The island holds a community rice-pounding event to make kagami mochi adornments for inside our homes and a few businesses set out classic kadomatsu displays — bamboo and pine branches engaged with a shimenawa rope — outside their doors.
Japan Times
Nov 25, 2018
Japan has a reputation for cleanliness — just don't look in our closets
The cleanliness of the Japanese is known worldwide. Thanks to the internet, videos of Japanese students cleaning their schools have gone viral, as well as a memorable clip of how the JR staff clean an entire shinkansen train in under seven minutes. The Japanese have further left their indelible mark at world sporting events by taking their garbage away from stadiums, something unthinkable in most other countries.
Japan Times
Oct 31, 2018
The death of a Japanese countryside festival
Ancient rites bend to an aging, shrinking population, but how much longer can local traditions hold out?

Longform

A statue of "Dragon Ball" character Goku stands outside the offices of Bandai Namco in Tokyo. The figure is now as recognizable as such characters as Mickey Mouse and Spider-Man.
Akira Toriyama's gift to the world