• SHARE

To slow the rising cost of nursing care in this graying country, the Abe administration has decided to lower by 2.27 percent the compensation for entities operating facilities or providing services for nursing care for the elderly, starting in fiscal 2015. But because the move, which also includes a wage increase for nursing care workers, will impact the financial base of care service operators, it could weaken the foundation of the nursing care system.

The compensation — 90 percent of which is paid out of tax revenues and nursing care insurance premiums, with the remaining 10 percent covered by out-of-pocket payments by users of the services — amounted to some ¥10 trillion in fiscal 2014 and is expected to reach between ¥21 trillion and ¥22 trillion in fiscal 2025.

Unable to view this article?

This could be due to a conflict with your ad-blocking or security software.

Please add japantimes.co.jp and piano.io to your list of allowed sites.

If this does not resolve the issue or you are unable to add the domains to your allowlist, please see out this support page.

We humbly apologize for the inconvenience.

In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.

SUBSCRIBE NOW