A magnitude 5 earthquake, which measured a strong 5 on the shindo (intensity) scale, was detected at a depth of 50 kilometers in southern Ibaraki Prefecture on Wednesday at 5:40 p.m.
No tsunami warning was issued and no deaths or injuries were immediately reported.
No abnormalities were reported at the Tokai No. 2 nuclear power plant in Tokai, Ibaraki Prefecture, NHK reported, citing operator Japan Atomic Power Co.
- Detailed information about this earthquake from the Yahoo! Japan Weather & Disaster website
- Detailed information about this earthquake from the Japan Meteorological Agency website
- The Japan Meteorological Agency website
- An explanation of shindo, Japan's earthquake intensity scale.
- A guide to what to do before, during and after an earthquake.
- Our portal for disaster-related information