• Reuters

  • SHARE

The number of new Ebola cases rose for the second week in a row in West Africa, nearly doubling in Guinea, suggesting declines in the disease seen earlier this year had stalled, the World Health Organization said on Wednesday.

Efforts to wipe out the deadly virus were being hampered by mistrust of health workers, and the number of people continuing to hide sick friends and relatives from authorities, particularly in Guinea’s capital Conakry, said officials.

West Africa recorded 144 new confirmed cases of Ebola in the week to Feb. 8 compared with 124 the previous week, the WHO said in a report.

“Despite improvements in case finding and management, burial practices, and community engagement, the decline in case incidence has stalled,” the U.N. agency added.

In Guinea, where the outbreak began, there were 64 new cases compared with 39 the previous week.

“The main threat to achieving our goal of zero cases in 60 days is this resistance in Conakry,” Dr. Sakoba Keita, national coordinator for the fight against the epidemic in Guinea, said.

The worst outbreak on record has now killed at least 9,177 people out of 22,894 recorded cases, mainly in the three worst-affected West African nations, Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia.

President Barack Obama said on Wednesday he was bringing back nearly all U.S. troops fighting the Ebola epidemic in West Africa and marking a new phase in the battle to help countries “get to zero” cases.

Obama said the outbreak was a “wake-up call” for the world, and that wealthy countries need to invest to ensure that poor nations have basic health systems to detect and fight diseases.

“This is not charity,” he said in a speech at the White House. “The investments we make overseas are in our self-interest.”

In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.

SUBSCRIBE NOW