Typhoon Wukong made landfall early Friday in Kyushu, bringing heavy rain to many parts of western Japan and paralyzing land, sea and air traffic.

Three people have been killed and at least three were injured in accidents linked to the typhoon, while more than 500 people had to evacuate their homes.

The typhoon swept over Kyushu, heading north Friday afternoon, and was expected to be off Kyushu’s northern coast by Saturday.

The Meteorological Agency urged residents of Kyushu and Shikoku to exercise caution, saying the typhoon is likely to continue bringing heavy rain to those areas Saturday.

Up to 400 mm of rain was forecast for Saturday in the Pacific coastal areas of Shikoku, 250 mm in Kyushu, and 120 mm to 150 mm in the Chugoku and southern Kinki regions, the agency said.

Wukong is the 10th typhoon and the first to land on the Japanese archipelago this season.

Meanwhile, rescue workers in Kanagawa Prefecture on Friday found the body of Mitsuo Sugisaki, 66.

Sugisaki was washed away the previous day along with 24 other people who were fishing in the Sakawa River when the Miho Dam was opened, releasing 23 tons of water per second, to prepare for the rain expected from Wukong.

Police are investigating whether the dam took the proper steps to warn the public before opening the dam’s floodgates.

On Thursday, Koji Oishi, 45, drowned off the town of Yasuda, Kochi Prefecture, police said. He was surfing alone in high waves caused by the approaching typhoon.

In Sasebo, Nagasaki Prefecture, a 66-year-old man was seriously injured after he fell from the roof of his home while making repairs ahead of the storm Friday morning, police said.

In Usuki, Oita Prefecture, a 65-year-old employee of a budget hotel suffered a slight injury to the head Friday morning after he collapsed when buffeted by the strong wind, police said.

In the city of Oita, a 57-year-old man was taken to a hospital Friday morning after being hit in the face by the door of his car, which was slammed shut by the wind.

In Kijo, Miyazaki Prefecture, a rain-triggered landslide buried a road and hit several residences Thursday night, police said. But no casualties were reported.

The Meteorological Agency said heavy rain — 65 mm to 68 mm per hour — hit the town of Misato, Miyazaki Prefecture, and the cities of Usuki and Bungoono in Oita Prefecture on Friday morning. Gusts of 147 kph were recorded on the Mount Unzen volcano in Nagasaki Prefecture.

Meanwhile, heavy rain also soaked northern Japan from Hokkaido to the northern Tohoku region, which is hundreds of kilometers away from the typhoon zone.

In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.