• SHARE

The agriculture ministry said Friday it will file an objection to a court order earlier this week to suspend construction work on a land reclamation project in Isahaya Bay in Kyushu.

Hidesaburo Kawamura, head of the rural development bureau of the Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries Ministry, told a news conference his ministry is dissatisfied with the provisional order issued Thursday by the Saga District Court and it will file the objection next week.

The court supported a request filed in November 2002 by 106 fishermen, who said the construction of an inner dike in the project was harming the local fishing industry.

The court said, “The state should not proceed with the construction until the ruling on the damages suit is given,” recognizing a link between the project and damage to fishing in the area.

In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.

SUBSCRIBE NOW