For many, social media is a place to show off milestones in life: vacations, weddings, families. But what if you don’t have any of those things?
Keisuke Jinushi has mastered the art of faking it until you make it — assuming one day Jinushi will indeed make it. Using wigs, nail polish and flattering angles, he was able to photograph his alternate life including a fake wedding and phony trip to Hawaii. He reveals below how he did it.
1. Imaginary: Keisuke was invited to a go-kon (matchmaking) party, where he ran into an acquaintance named Yuki and had a great time (although he regretted drinking too much the next day).
Reality: Keisuke, who has never been invited to a go-kon in his life, he went into an izakaya by himself, ordered a bunch of beer and snapped away.
2. Imaginary: On their first date, Keisuke asked Yuki to “go steady” with him. They went to a cafe and Yuki took out her camera and started taking photos of Keisuke.
Reality: Keisuke walked into a cafe, ordered two ice teas and found a table with two chairs. Putting his camera on a tripod, he captured himself on a “cafe date.”
3. Imaginary: Love was in the air, and the relationship with Yuki was going great. To his embarrassment, Yuki broke off a piece of a doughnut and fed it to him.
Reality: Keisuke sat in a cafe by himself, applied nail polish and makeup on his right hand, and fed himself a doughnut just so.
4. Imaginary: For Keisuke’s birthday, Yuki surprised him with a new helmet for his motorcycle. Yuki put the new one on, and they went riding around the city together. Over the roaring engine, she yelled, “I love you, Kei-kun.”
Reality: Keisuke has no motorcycle; he doesn’t even have a bicycle. All he needed to do was borrow two helmets, one for himself and one to put on a short pole, add a leather jacket and there you have it — a motorcycle touring shot.
5. Imaginary: Keisuke and Yuki went on a quick getaway to Hawaii where he popped the question. The answer was an enthusiastic YES.
Reality: Keisuke made a piña colada-like drink with Calpis, put a lei around his neck and went to a beach in Tokyo’s Ota Ward — by himself, of course.
6. Imaginary: The big day finally came. Yuki and Keisuke stole a kiss outside the chapel in a beautiful garden.
Reality: Dressed in an ¥8,000 tuxedo, Keisuke went to a green park with a lot of green space and put a homemade veil over a wig.
7. Imaginary: Yuki and Keisuke were blessed with a daughter, Rin. Reading picture books was her favorite pastime.
Reality: A book in one hand and a wig in the other, Keisuke wasn’t sure about exactly what kind of expression he should make.
In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.