A reader who signs off as “Desperate” writes: “I am married to a Japanese male and am considering submitting a fujuri todoke (request not to accept notification) because I’m worried my husband might file a rikon todoke (divorce notification paper) without my knowledge.

“As we are living outside Japan, it is difficult for me to submit a fujuri todoke in person at city hall in Japan. So, my questions are: 1) Is it possible for me to submit a fujuri todoke to the Japanese Consulate where I live? 2) If it is not possible, is there any other possible way for me to submit a fujuri todoke?”

Unable to view this article?

This could be due to a conflict with your ad-blocking or security software.

Please add japantimes.co.jp and piano.io to your list of allowed sites.

If this does not resolve the issue or you are unable to add the domains to your allowlist, please see out this support page.

We humbly apologize for the inconvenience.

In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.