Reader S writes: "I am a U.S. citizen married to a Japanese national with two kids. My husband is mainly psychologically and emotionally abusive towards me (name calling, insulting, etc.). He hasn't done much physically yet, but he has threatened to kill me on one occasion.

"Is it possible to file a restraining order? How long does it last? What happens after? What about child support during this time?"

The Act on the Prevention of Spousal Violence and the Protection of Victims allows victims of physical violence or threats to their life from spouses or ex-spouses to apply for a restraining order. Article 23 of the act clearly states that the relevant officials have to ensure the safety of victims regardless of their nationality. In your case, although your husband hasn't been physically violent toward you, the fact that he has threatened to kill you means you are eligible to file for such an order.