Reader VS writes: "I am a Spanish national interested in getting information about how to start a business in Japan. What is the minimum required to invest for this purpose and how is this linked to obtaining a residence status? Any information — in English — or links where I could get this information would be highly appreciated."

In Japan, there are various kinds of residence status. These can be divided into two types — those that allow a foreign national to work in Japan, and those that don't.

Examples of the former include "specialist in humanities/international services," "engineer," "entertainer," "professor" and so on. Basically, the type of work permitted is limited to a specific area of expertise.