Which convenience store is best and why? That’s the question we try and answer in celebration of convenience stores, which have proved themselves more essential than ever during Japan’s state of emergency. Newspick’s Yuzuha Oka and The Japan Times’ Chris Russell, Joel Tansey and Oscar Boyd discuss.
Special theme music by composer Ben Wong, follow him on Soundcloud.
Sign up to the Deep Dive mailing list and be notified every time a new episode comes out: jtimes.jp/deepdivesub.
With everyone spending more time indoors than ever before, we’ve just made all of The Japan Times’ delicious, seasonal recipes free to read to. Find them all at jtimes.jp/kitchen.
- The lessons you can learn from a convenience store side job (Megha Wadhwa, The Japan Times)
- Foreign-born clerks are becoming a familiar sight at convenience stores nationwide, but is Japan ready to welcome them? (Andrew McKirdy, The Japan Times)
- Vegan Store: Japan’s first vegan convenience store (Jane Kitagawa, The Japan Times)
- 2010s: The decade Japanese food took over the world (Patrick St. Michel The Japan Times)
- Konbini Watch (Patrick St. Michel, The Japan Times)
- Japan’s convenience store owners face tough choices in pandemic (The Japan Times)
- Lawson shows off experimental automated convenience store (The Japan Times)
In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.