Scandal-plagued Mitsubishi Motors Corp. remains committed to the U.S. market, which is critical for the firm's turnaround, its new president said Wednesday.

Production capacity at the plant in Normal, Ill., was reduced last year by about half to between 125,000 to 130,000 vehicles a year to boost profitability but there are no plans to sell the plant, said Osamu Masuko, appointed president and chief operating officer a month ago.

MMC has trimmed the plant staff to about 900 workers from around 1,900 last year, according to the automaker. No more job cuts are planned in the United States, Masuko told reporters at MMC's Tokyo headquarters.