On Monday, Naomi Osaka became the world’s No. 1 women’s singles player after her victory against Petra Kvitova in Saturday’s Australian Open final. But her rise to the top also came with a dose of controversy.
This week on Deep Dive, Oscar Boyd is joined by Baye McNeil and Joel Tansey to discuss Osaka’s rise to the top and a recent case of whitewashing.
- Baye McNeil’s Black Eye column on the Nissin ad.
- Joel Tansey on Naomi Osaka’s victory at the Australian Open.
- Clip of Naomi Osaka talking at the Australian Open from Guardian Sport.
- Naomi Osaka’s victory proves to be a boon for her sponsors
- Naomi Osaka becomes world No. 1 in women’s singles tennis rankings