Regarding the Dec. 8 editorial “English teachers to study abroad“: I get the feeling that at least one year of study in an English-speaking country is already required for English teachers, even at the senior high school level. I know a man with a master’s degree whose application for a position at a junior college was not considered; yet a man with a B.A. who had one year of study in an English-speaking country was employed.

In our city, for elementary school English-teaching assistants, a one-year stay in an English-speaking country is required. An English teacher who has never studied in an English-speaking country seems to be at a big disadvantage.

Don’t forget also that tax money for public high school English teachers comes from teachers who work for private educational institutions and from parents who send their children to private schools. Some part of the tax money should be used for teachers at Tokyo private schools. Tax money doesn’t just apply to public schools.

masayuki aihara

The opinions expressed in this letter to the editor are the writer’s own and do not necessarily reflect the policies of The Japan Times.

In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.