• Kyodo

  • SHARE

Two people died and another 15 were rushed to hospitals in Tokyo over the two days to Wednesday after they choked on “mochi” pounded rice cakes, the Tokyo Fire Department said Wednesday.

The two fatalities, a 68-year-old man and an 83-year-old man, were dining at their homes.

The fire department urged people to chop mochi into small pieces and swallow with care, adding that other people should watch carefully when elderly people and children eat mochi.

In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.

SUBSCRIBE NOW