National

Worms, not skewer, did in Hachiko

The Associated Press

Scientists have settled a decades-old mystery by naming a cause of death for Japan’s most famous dog, Hachiko, whose legendary loyalty was immortalized with a statue outside Shibuya Station in Tokyo.

Hachiko died of cancer and worms, not because he swallowed a yakitori skewer that ruptured his stomach — as legend has it.

For years, Hachiko used to wait at Shibuya Station for his master, Hidesaburo Ueno, a professor at the University of Tokyo. Even after Ueno died, the dog went to the station to wait for his master every afternoon for a decade until he finally died.

Tokyo residents were so moved that they built a statue of Hachiko, which remains a popular rendezvous spot to this day. He was also the hero of children’s books.

The dog’s story was made into a movie in 1987, “Hachiko Monogatari,” which in turn was remade by Hollywood in 2009 as “Hachiko: A Dog’s Story,” starring Richard Gere.

Hachiko was considered such a model of devotion that his organs were preserved when he died in 1935.

Rumor had it that Hachiko died after wolfing down a yakitori skewer that ruptured his stomach. But University of Tokyo veterinarians examining his organs said Wednesday that Hachiko had terminal cancer as well as a filaria infection — worms.

Four yakitori sticks remained in Hachiko’s stomach, but they didn’t damage his stomach or cause death, said Kazuyuki Uchida, one of the veterinarians.

GET THE BEST OF THE JAPAN TIMES
IN FIVE EASY PIECES WITH TAKE 5