‘I was dismissed yesterday after my salary was given to me,” writes G.B. “The manager told me that by using a lot of paid leave last month, I had disrupted the workplace and demonstrated my lack of ability to do the job, so they had to discharge me.

“However, I only took seven days’ paid leave to go back to my home country. I think I had around 10 days’ paid leave, since I had worked for this company for one year and three months as of yesterday. I want to make the company withdraw my dismissal or get compensation from them. What options do I have?”

Unable to view this article?

This could be due to a conflict with your ad-blocking or security software.

Please add japantimes.co.jp and piano.io to your list of allowed sites.

If this does not resolve the issue or you are unable to add the domains to your allowlist, please see out this support page.

We humbly apologize for the inconvenience.

In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.