Marc has a question about pension refunds for foreigners: “I was a resident of Japan for about 25 years and I paid into the system for about 20 years. Six years ago my Japanese employer transferred me to Vietnam. Since then we did an employee exchange with a South African company. This company has been paying my salary in Vietnam, but not my social benefits in Japan.

“My employment will terminate with the South African company in 2012 and I am scheduled to return to Japan later next year. My question is: Does the Japanese pension system still refund money to foreigners who have paid in and leave the country?”

Unable to view this article?

This could be due to a conflict with your ad-blocking or security software.

Please add japantimes.co.jp and piano.io to your list of allowed sites.

If this does not resolve the issue or you are unable to add the domains to your allowlist, please see out this support page.

We humbly apologize for the inconvenience.

In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.