Reader A.B. is concerned that he has been driving on an International Driving Permit and is getting mixed messages as to its legality.

"While I'm hearing from some that I need to get a Japanese driving license, others are telling me that I can drive for up to a year. Which is it? Where can I get correct information?"

The driver's license situation is extremely complicated. I grew up in Tokyo and, while overseas, got a driver's license that I simply brought back and traded for a Japanese license.