Stoke, Fulham go down in League Cup matches


Stoke and Fulham were the biggest casualties in the League Cup second round on Tuesday as the Premier League clubs slumped to shock defeats against Swindon and Sheffield Wednesday respectively.

Tony Pulis’ Stoke had held Arsenal to a 0-0 draw on Sunday, but League One side Swindon, managed by former West Ham striker Paolo Di Canio, upset the odds with a dramatic 4-3 victory after extra time at the Britannia Stadium.

Fulham was the other top-flight side to bow out as Martin Jol’s team was beaten 1-0 by Championship club Sheffield Wednesday.

Pulis made six changes from the Arsenal match and one of those switches quickly backfired as a mistake from reserve goalkeeper Thomas Sorensen allowed James Collins to score in the 27th minute.

Collins struck again four minutes before halftime with a header from Raffaele De Vita’s cross.

Kenwyne Jones launched Stoke’s rally when he scored in the 63rd minute and Jon Walters came off the bench to force extra-time with an 86th minute equalizer.

Aden Flint put Swindon back in front in the 105th minute and, after Peter Crouch equalized in the 111th minute, Collins capped a roller-coaster clash when he completed his hat trick with the winner in the last minute of extra time.

At Hillsborough, Gary Madine’s 50th minute penalty, awarded when Chris Maguire was hacked down by Stephen Kelly, was enough to see off the Cottagers.

Aston Villa, beaten in its opening two Premier League matches, won for the first time under new boss Paul Lambert as goals from Fabian Delph, Chris Herd and Darren Bent secured a 3-0 victory over League One side Tranmere at Villa Park.

Japan striker Tadanari Lee scored his first goal of the season for Southampton as Nigel Adkins’ team won 4-1 at Stevenage.

Also, Norwich edged out Scunthorpe 2-1; Wigan won 4-1 at Nottingham Forest and Queens Park Rangers beat Walsall 3-0.

Sunderland downed Morecambe 2-0; Swansea topped Barnsley 3-1; West Ham defeated Crewe Alexandra 2-0; Reading twice came from behind to beat Peterborough 3-2 and West Bromwich Albion won 4-2 at Yeovil.