A man who lives in the city of Chiba has become the first person in the current outbreak of dengue fever to be infected outside of Tokyo, the health ministry said Tuesday.
On Wednesday, about two weeks after the first reported case, the ministry confirmed that another 10 people, including five in Tokyo and others in Saitama, Ibaraki, Chiba and Kanagawa prefectures, had been infected, bringing the total to 97.
The man from Chiba, who is in his 60s, is a resident of a social welfare facility in the city’s Inage Ward. He is believed to have been infected near the facility, the Chiba Municipal Government said.
No other person living at the facility has exhibited symptoms of dengue fever, city officials added.
The man developed symptoms on Aug. 31 and was hospitalized on Sept. 2. His infection was confirmed Monday. Although hospitalized, he is in a stable condition.
The ministry began examining mosquitoes at major parks in Tokyo after dengue-carrying mosquitoes were found in Yoyogi Park in Shibuya Ward last week. The dengue virus was not found in mosquitoes collected Sunday at Arisugawanomiya Memorial Park in Minato Ward, Sugiyama Park in Nakano Ward and Miyashita Park in Shibuya Ward, the ministry said.