NEW YORK – The Japanese owner of one of the two apartment buildings destroyed in what is believed to be a gas blast in New York City on March 12 has been sued by a neighbor who was injured in the accident, which left eight people dead.
The National Transportation Safety Board has confirmed there was a gas leak near the building, which is owned by Kaoru Muramatsu. She had run a piano shop on the first floor.
The plaintiff filed a lawsuit against her and gas supplier Consolidated Edison Inc. with a local court Monday, blaming them for neglecting to properly maintain gas and building equipment, resulting in the accident. The written complaint did not include a specific damages claim. Among the eight people killed was a Japanese resident, Mayumi Nakamura, 34.