Feb 23, 2013

Metro government's Senkaku donations gathering dust

by Masami Ito

The ¥1.48 billion that the Tokyo Metropolitan Government collected in donations to buy and maintain the Senkakus is just lying idle, waiting to be used, after the central government nipped in to snag the disputed islets in September. Money began pouring from last April ...

Senkaku showdown taxing forces

Feb 22, 2013

Senkaku showdown taxing forces

by Mizuho Aoki and Ayako Mie

The past few months have put the Japan Coast Guard and Air Self-Defense Force to the test, as they defend the nation’s territorial waters and airspace around the Senkaku islets in the East China Sea, a flash point for potential military clashes with China. ...

Feb 21, 2013

Chinese-Americans wage Senkaku protest in New York before Abe visit

More than 200 Chinese-Americans gathered Tuesday outside the Japanese Consulate General in New York to protest Japan’s claim to the Senkaku Islands ahead of a U.S. visit by Prime Minister Shinzo Abe. The protesters, from around 60 local community groups, also denounced what they ...

Feb 19, 2013

China hindering Japanese M&As

China is acting as a drag on a merger-and-acquisition spree by Japanese companies as relations deteriorate between the two countries amid the territorial dispute over the Senkaku Islands.

Firms: No isle row in Southeast Asia

Feb 19, 2013

Firms: No isle row in Southeast Asia

by Bruce Einhorn

As China and Japan bicker over the Senkaku Islands in the East China Sea, Yeap Swee Chuan is benefiting. Yeap is president and chief executive officer of Aapico Hitech, a Thai auto parts maker that supplies Toyota Motor Corp. and Honda Motor Co. as ...

Feb 8, 2013

Abe informed of China radar lock incident six days after the fact

Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said Thursday that he wasn’t informed of a Chinese navy frigate’s use of fire-control radar targeting a Maritime Self-Defense Force destroyer in the East China Sea on Jan. 30 until Tuesday, admitting officials were tardy in alerting him. Abe told ...

China provocation slammed

Feb 8, 2013

China provocation slammed

by Ayako Mie

Defense Minister Itsunori Onodera warns China that it may have violated the United Nations Charter when its warships locked their fire-control radars on a Maritime Self-Defense Force destroyer and helicopter last month and calls for setting up a hotline between Tokyo and Beijing.