OSAKA – Bleach water used to disinfect a drinking water tank was mistakenly served at a Mister Donut store in Osaka last week, sickening some customers, parent Duskin Co. said.
On Saturday, the company said a part-time worker at its store in Toyonaka, Osaka Prefecture, failed to follow procedure by filling the 1.8-liter plastic water tank with diluted chlorine bleach after the store closed on Thursday. She was supposed to disinfect the tank by soaking it in a sink filled with bleach.
The next day, the bleach water was served as drinking water.
A dozen customers complained about the water. Five of them, including a 3-year-old, were treated by doctors but none was in serious condition.