SANAA – Yemen’s national security chief Saturday accused Iran of “damaging Yemen” with an arms shipment that was seized last month, and the Interior Ministry said it was investigating. “Such a shipment cannot be made by traders or smugglers. . . . Only an official power stands behind it,” Ali Hassan al-Ahmadi told reporters in Sanaa.
The Yemen Coast Guard, in coordination with the U.S. Navy, intercepted a ship carrying 40 tons of rockets and explosives Jan. 23 in the Arabian Sea that Sanaa says came from Iran. U.N. sanctions experts are investigating the Yemeni government’s claims.