THE HAGUE – A Dutchman has been arrested in Spain in connection with last month’s unprecedented cyber-attack that reportedly slowed down the Internet, the Dutch prosecution service said Saturday.
The 35-year-old man, identified only as S.K., was arrested in Barcelona, and the house where he was staying was searched by Spanish police, the prosecution service said in a statement.
Last month’s attack targeted Spamhaus, a Geneva-based volunteer group that publishes spam blacklists used by networks to filter out unwanted email, and led to congestion in cyberspace.
Spamhaus blamed the attack on the Dutch web-hosting service Cyberbunker.
A source close to the investigation said S.K. was Sven Olaf Kamphuis, who acted as a spokesman for Cyberbunker at the time of the attack.
Kamphuis describes himself on his Facebook page as “Minister of Telecommunications and Foreign Affairs for the Cyberbunker Republic.”
Computers, storage devices and mobile phones were seized during the Barcelona raid.
Distributed denial of service (DDOS) attacks essentially bombard sites with traffic in order to disrupt. Last month’s attack was described as the most powerful ever seen, creating congestion and ripple effects around the Web.
The attacks began, according to Spamhaus, after it placed Cyberbunker, a Web-hosting firm that “offers anonymous hosting of anything except child porn and anything related to terrorism,” on its blacklist.
Cyberbunker said it had been unfairly labeled as a haven for cybercrime and spam.