17-year-old worked at Fukushima No. 1 plant during meltdown crisis

JIJI, Kyodo

Tokyo Electric Power Co. said Tuesday it has found that a 17-year-old boy worked at its crippled Fukushima No. 1 power complex shortly after the meltdown crisis started last spring, a violation of the Labor Standards Law, which prohibits people under age 18 from working in hazardous environments.

The boy apparently falsified his birthdate on a copy of the basic resident registry he submitted, claiming he was 18-years-old when hired by a subcontractor of general contractor Kajima Corp.

Between April 6 and April 11, 2011, he joined work to drill holes in the walls of the reactor 2 and 4 buildings and pass through hoses, among other duties.

The utility said the boy, whose internal and external radiation doses totaled 1.92 millisieverts, suffered no ill health effects. It discovered the birthdate on the boy’s radiation notebook differed from the information he previously submitted. The find was made Monday as the utility was removing the boy’s name from its registered workers’ list.