The Japan Times would like to encourage free discussion as well as constructive feedback.
We plan to keep the discussions clean, civil and focused. To this end, comments will be moderated. We can make no guarantee as to when pending comments will appear on the site.
Our goal is to accept the majority of comments. To help us reach it, please follow these rules:
How you treat others
- Don’t write anything that could be deemed libelous or defamatory.
- Don’t make personal attacks or threats. As a rule, comments directed solely at the author will be moderated. Focus on the ideas, not the individual.
- Don’t use offensive language. Don’t disparage a person’s race, religion, color, gender or sexual orientation.
- Don’t generalize about nationality; criticizing a nation’s government or policy is another matter.
- Don’t use an offensive username.
- We understand that some users might desire anonymity, but don’t abuse it to bully others.
- Do not attempt to monopolize a thread by responding to each and every comment. Make your point in the most relevant place.
- Please read the comment thread first and make sure that you’re introducing something new to the conversation. If you simply agree with a comment, vote the comment up.
- Don’t post the same or similar comment on multiple posts. Choose where you want to say your piece and then go from there.
- Don’t promote a site or product.
- Don’t SHOUT your comment.
- Bring something to the conversation. Just agreeing with a commenter, or saying “good/bad story” isn’t advancing the dialogue.
- Don’t be a troll.
Commenting on content
- Don’t include a link without clearly explaining where it goes and why you are posting it. Please do not use a comment signature linking to your website.
- Don’t post personal information, such as your email address or phone number.
- Please comment in English, though, when appropriate, the mention of non-English words is acceptable.
- Make sure the comment is related to the story and the discussion.
- Write clearly. Take a second to check before you submit your comment. One typo could change everything.
Found a mistake? Let us know here, not in the comments.
Having a technical problem? Contact us here.
Comments about moderation policies will not be displayed. The moderators’ decisions — be it the removal of comments or banning of commenters — will be final.
The Japan Times will not be held responsible for any misinformation in comments, nor do the opinions contained in comments represent the views of The Japan Times.
By commenting on this site, you grant us the right to republish your comments in Japan Times’ publications.
The Japan Times reserves the right to change these guidelines at any time, so when in doubt, please refer back to this page.
Comments will be closed on stories after a certain amount of time. If you want to comment on a story that lacks the ability to comment, let us know.
[updated April 28, 2014]