Dhaka, Bangladesh – A Japanese man who was shot dead last week in Bangladesh was buried on Tuesday morning at a cemetery in the country.
Kunio Hoshi, 66, was killed by unidentified assailants in a village in Rangpur in the north of Bangladesh on Oct. 3. Islamic State group militants later claimed responsibility for his death.
Home Minister Asaduzzaman Khan Kamal said, “The Japanese government doesn’t have any objection to the burial of Kunio Hoshi in Bangladesh. Accordingly, the ministry has instructed the Rangpur administration to take necessary steps for his burial.”
Hoshi had been working on an agricultural project in the country at the time of his death. The governments of Japan and Bangladesh confirmed he had also converted to Islam.
Home ministry sources said the Japanese embassy in Dhaka had expressed a desire for Hoshi to be buried in Islamic tradition in Bangladesh.
They added that his postmortem report and death certificate, along with other belongings, are due to be sent to the Japanese embassy.
The Bangladesh government has formed a high-level, five-member investigation team to find out more about the murder, which occurred just days after the killing of an Italian man in Dhaka.