SENDAI – Two more people were found to have suffered injuries after falling during the earthquake that shook the northeast Friday, local officials said Saturday.
A man in his 80s in Aomori Prefecture and a 62-year-old man in Miyagi Prefecture were hurt in addition to 11 people reported Friday to have been injured in the quake, which had a preliminary magnitude of 7.3 and caused tsunami up to 1 meter high along parts of the Pacific coast.
More than 20,000 people evacuated after the 5:18 p.m. quake, but no abnormalities were reported at nuclear power plants. Some train services were suspended and Sendai Airport was closed temporarily.
The Meteorological Agency warned of aftershocks of up to magnitude 6 striking over the next week.
Rescuers meanwhile continued searching Saturday for Tokujiro Hayashi, 71, who went missing after evacuating in a boat from Kuji port in Iwate Prefecture in response to tsunami warnings, authorities said.
The Miyagi Prefectural Government said no major damage had been found at ports, roads or local government facilities as of Saturday.
Iwate Prefectural Government officials were still checking streets in Kamaishi for damage.
The Meteorological Agency said the temblor was probably an aftershock from the magnitude-9 quake that devastated the region on March 11, 2011. The latest quake measured lower 5 on the Japanese seismic intensity scale of 7 in Iwate, Miyagi, Aomori, Ibaraki and Tochigi prefectures.
The focus of the quake was 240 km off the coast of Miyagi Prefecture at a depth of 10 km, the agency said.