• SHARE

A South Korean court on Wednesday dismissed a damages lawsuit brought by a group of former “comfort women” against the Japanese government over their treatment in Japanese military brothels during World War II.

The Seoul Central District Court decision follows a ruling on Jan. 8 by the same court that ordered Japan to compensate 12 women.

Another ruling in favor of former comfort women would have dealt a further blow to Japan-South Korea ties, which have already sunk to the lowest level in decades.

South Korea court dismisses 'comfort women' lawsuit | REUTERS
South Korea court dismisses ‘comfort women’ lawsuit | REUTERS

In a recent survey, a record 40.4% of Japanese respondents said they do not believe that their country’s relationship with South Korea is important.

The planned release of over a million tons of tritium-laced water from the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant into the Pacific has added to tensions. Seoul opposes the discharge and says it is considering bringing the matter to international court.

However, a South Korean government report released last year found that the release of radioactive tritium into the sea would have almost no effect on the country’s waters.

PHOTO GALLERY (CLICK TO ENLARGE)