SHANGHAI – The fate of the Chinese Grand Prix is expected to be announced on Thursday as reports said it will not take place as planned on April 19 because of the new coronavirus.
Several British media outlets ran unsourced reports on Wednesday saying the Shanghai race, the fourth of the new season, will be either postponed or canceled.
It would be the latest — but easily most high-profile — sports event to fall victim to the virus outbreak which has killed more than 1,100 people in China, where it emerged at the end of last year.
AFP understands that an announcement about the race will be made on Thursday, but according to the BBC, it is “expected to be postponed.”
It also throws into doubt the inaugural race in Vietnam, which takes place two weeks before Shanghai but where there have also been cases of the virus, officially named COVID-19.
Formula One’s managing director Ross Brawn said last week they will look to reschedule the Shanghai race if it does not go ahead in April.
“We will leave open the opportunity to see if the race can run later in the year,” he said, according to the BBC.
“China is an enthusiastic, growing market so we’d like to have a race in China.”
China has been forced to cancel or put off a host of sporting events due to the COVID-19 epidemic, from suspending all soccer in the country to postponing the first badminton tournament of the 2020 world tour season.
The world’s most populous country has increasingly become a powerhouse in hosting international sporting events in recent years, but has had its calendar thrown into chaos.
Athletics’ World Indoor Championships, scheduled for Nanjing from March 13-15, has been postponed for a year.
The Chinese Formula E Grand Prix, due to take place in Sanya on the southern island of Hainan on March 21, was called off “after close consultation” with government authorities.
In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.
Your news needs your support
Since the early stages of the COVID-19 crisis, The Japan Times has been providing free access to crucial news on the impact of the novel coronavirus as well as practical information about how to cope with the pandemic. Please consider subscribing today so we can continue offering you up-to-date, in-depth news about Japan.