• Kyodo

  • SHARE

Koji Uehara is officially out for the season after being told by the Boston Red Sox on Monday that he would not be pitching this year.

The Red Sox said last week that Uehara would miss the rest of the season with a broken right wrist, but the closer took to his blog site to contradict the assessment, saying he hoped to come back before the year was up.

But Boston said Monday the team had made it clear to Uehara that the next pitch he throws will be in 2016. While Uehara had 25 saves and a 2.23 ERA before the injury, the Red Sox are last in the American League East, 13½ games out of first place.

“I think it was last Friday. We talked, going over the rehab program,” Uehara blogged Monday of his meeting with the team doctor. “I first told him that I planned on pitching again before the season ended but he told me to forget it.

“I’ll just have to start working toward next year.”

In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.

SUBSCRIBE NOW