Tokyo will host elections for governor on July 5, 2020, no small event for the largest city in the world. This week, staff reporter Ryusei Takahashi and domestic news head Kanako Takahara discuss the field of candidates, incumbent Yuriko Koike’s chances for reelection and the effects of COVID-19 on the campaign. Hosted by Oscar Boyd.
- As race to govern Tokyo kicks off, Olympics and coronavirus top agenda (Ryusei Takahashi, The Japan Times)
- Koike’s first term as Tokyo governor: Eventful, but little to show for it (Ryusei Takahashi, The Japan Times)
- Tokyo gubernatorial candidates face off in first joint news conference (Ryusei Takahashi, The Japan Times)
- Great expectations: Has Koike delivered on parenting, gender and climate? (Ryusei Takahashi, The Japan Times)
- More on the 2020 Tokyo election (The Japan Times)
Sign up to the Deep Dive mailing list and be notified every time a new episode comes out. Get in touch with us at email@example.com.