• Tokyo

  • SHARE

Regarding the Aug. 29 Kyodo article “Cesium in incinerator dust across East Japan“: I would like to draw readers’ attention to a related problem. The Environment Ministry is said to be planning to ship radioactive debris from Iwate and Miyagi prefectures to incineration plants in western Japan and Hokkaido for processing. I think this is a very dangerous plan.

The ministry says that debris of less than 8,000 becquerels per kilogram is safe, but that is too high. If the plan is carried out, it will spread radioactive materials to areas not contaminated so far. For those who fled northeastern Japan, it will be a nightmare because what they wanted to avoid will be following them.

I hope the ministry will be wise enough to reconsider this plan.

The opinions expressed in this letter to the editor are the writer’s own and do not necessarily reflect the policies of The Japan Times.

hiroyuki usui

In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.

SUBSCRIBE NOW