• Jiji

  • SHARE

The agriculture ministry said Friday that soon it will likely stop providing reward points under the government's Go To Eat campaign, which supports restaurants hit hard by the pandemic.

The budget for the reward program is reaching its limit, the ministry said. The supply of points, which are granted to diners who make reservations via booking websites, will run out at the end of next week at the earliest for some websites.

The ministry has earmarked ¥61.6 billion for the point program under the Go To Eat campaign. It started offering the points on Oct. 1. The cumulative number of people who booked restaurants using the program topped 50 million as of Wednesday, with points worth more than ¥40 billion given out.

Under the program, points worth ¥1,000 will be awarded for a dinner reservation and ¥500 for lunch. Points can be redeemed at any restaurant participating in the program.

The value of points granted per day stood above ¥1.7 billion recently, up sharply from an average of around ¥600 million soon after the start of the program. The points given out will be valid until the end of March. The points have been little used so far, a ministry official said.

The ministry has separately secured ¥86.8 billion for the distribution of premium meal vouchers, another program under the Go To Eat campaign. The vouchers, which are issued by prefectural governments, will continue to be given out for the time being, according to the ministry.

In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

PHOTO GALLERY (CLICK TO ENLARGE)

Your news needs your support

Since the early stages of the COVID-19 crisis, The Japan Times has been providing free access to crucial news on the impact of the novel coronavirus as well as practical information about how to cope with the pandemic. Please consider subscribing today so we can continue offering you up-to-date, in-depth news about Japan.